[et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”3.0.47″][et_pb_row _builder_version=”3.0.48″ background_size=”initial” background_position=”top_left” background_repeat=”repeat”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″ _builder_version=”3.0.47″][et_pb_divider show_divider=”off” _builder_version=”3.20.2″][/et_pb_divider][et_pb_text admin_label=”Content” module_class=”project_matter-view” _builder_version=”3.20.2″ background_size=”initial” background_position=”top_left” background_repeat=”repeat” module_alignment=”left”]
Personal Injury Lawyer Fee
How much does a personal injury lawyer cost?
How much is a personal injury lawyer fee to handle your case is a perfect question you should know the answer to when looking to hire an accident or personal injury attorney to help you get recovery for your injuries. Knowing a personal injury lawyer fee options upfront is very important because you must understand his/her terms of charging, to avoid a deadlock later on due to his/her payment. If you or any of your loved ones have had a personal injury due to someone else’s fault, then you are well in a position of calling in an injury lawyer if your goal is to maximize your financial compensations.
Personal injury cases cover all injuries, whether of a physical or psychological resulting from negligence by individuals, companies, or even government agencies; slip and fall accidents, vehicle accidents, defective products, workplace mishaps or professional malpractice. If the injuries were serious and its treatments have cost you a heavily, then don’t panic as you still have some hope left to recover these expenses. You can claim the party guilty for your injuries, to pay recovery money or settlement money. A lawyer will ensure the maximum recovery of your losses from the defendants and your own accidental insurance company.
Personal injury lawyer fees table of content
- How Are Personal Injury Lawyer Fees Calculated
- Some Attorneys Use Hourly Rate As Their Fee For Personal Injury Cases
- Other Things To Keep In Mind
- Call To Discuss Your Case
- See Also
How are personal injury lawyer fees calculated
Personal injury lawyer fees are charged in a way different from the typical flat fee or hourly fee arrangements charged for most other lawyers. This is done via a contingency fee arrangement according to which, your lawyer won’t take any money straight from your pocket, but will rather take a specific fraction of the recovery money obtained from the guilty party. This is called contingency fee and generally varies between 33-40% of the total settlement money. This percentage is usually decided by the complexity of the case, the time it will take, whether a case is going to trial or no, and also, the stage of the case. Because of the range of contingency fee agreement, you should always negotiate with your personal injury attorney for better fee arrangement. Do not leave money on the table by not negotiating.
You must have a clear insight into your personal injury attorney’s fee before signing a contract with him or her.
- Though the conventional contingency fee rate is between 33.33% to 40%, you can always try to negotiate over it and if your case is good enough, then the lawyer shouldn’t have much problem agreeing to it. Let’s say that the injury lawyer representing you got $50,000 settlement for your injuries, he or she will keep $16,666 and you get the remaining amount.
- There are a few other expenses related to a personal injury case like postage, expert witness fee, filing charges, police reports, and medical results. Generally, personal injury lawyers compute his charge only on the money left after reducing these extra expenses from the contingency fee. However, if a lawyer is adamant to charge a contingency fee over the whole settlement fee over the original settlement fee, then you better consider looking for another attorney.
So, from all this discussion, it could be that you should be very careful and particular about the terms and conditions imposed by your personal injury attorney fee agreement.
Some attorneys use hourly rate as their fee
This is rare but some personal injury lawyer fee is done at an hourly rate. However, if your attorney does choose to work at a set hourly rate, he or she has to set a rate that is reasonable. A law firm can’t just charge you whatever amount they want because there are general professional guidelines. Attorneys who fail to charge reasonable rates to their clients are subject to sanctions from their state bar association for the violation of their professional ethical obligations. Each state Rules of Professional Conduct has rules in place to make sure that attorneys do not abuse the hourly rate fees. In some states like California and Florida, there are rules set in place for their court or ethics committee to consider such as:
- The hourly rates or fee customarily charged in the locality for legal services of a comparable or similar nature
- The experience, reputation, and ability of the lawyer(s) working on the legal service
- Whether the fee is based on a fixed rate or contingency
Other things to keep in mind
When it comes to hiring contingency fee attorneys to handle your auto crash or another personal injury case, you want to make sure that you ask questions and understand everything fully before signing a retainer agreement. So here are some helpful tips
- Know what’s included on the fee: Make sure that the agreement you signed specifically details what the percentage the lawyer will get covers. Sometimes some attorneys will still charge you for other expenses on top of the percentage they will be getting.
- Demand a thorough representation: Some lawyers who work on a contingency arrangement like to settle cases quick instead of prolonging a case to maximize the settlement.
- Hire the right lawyer: You need to make sure that you hire the right experienced and skilled lawyer who knows how to be creative in finding more ways to get money out of your case
- Negotiate: Do not forget to negotiate for the contingency fee percentage.
Call to discuss your case and learn about lawyers fee for your personal injury case
Every personal injury case is different because of different factors such as the type of injury involved and whether there will be a trial or not etc. Call us now to be connected with an attorney for auto accident or personal injury. When you call a professional you can get to discuss your case and know your personal injury lawyer fee rates.
- Should I Hire Attorney After A Car Accident?
- How Much Does Car Accident Lawyers Charge To Represent You?
- Contingency Fee Arrangements For Accident and Personal Injury Cases